GL&FQ – Quilt Challenge 2018 – Rules & Guidelines
Theme: “Historic Trade Routes“
(reflecting the “Trade and Logistics” section of the Ostfalia College Suderburg):
By “Historic Trade Routes” we understand former, even ancient, trading routes. Their general routes are still known, the actual roads, however, either are not recognizable in the landscape anymore, are heavily branched out or include water passages.
Some examples are the Silk Road, the Bernstein Road, the Salt Road, the Ox Trail, the Tea Road etc.
Quilt size: 50 x 100 cm/20“ x 40“ (portrait layout)
Judges : Hilde van Schardenburg, Mari-Carmen Pujante, Birgit Schueller
Entry fee: € 20.00
Best Quilt – Classic
Best Quilt – Contemporary
Best Quilt – Art
Best Quilt – Theme
Award for Handquilting
Award for Maschine Quilting/DSM
Award for Longarm Quilting/Stand-up
Award for Longarm Quilting/Sit-down
Award for Patchwork
Award for Thread Painting
Rules & Guidelines:
We encourage the challenge participants to share the making-of process of their works on social media (Facebook, Instagram or the like, blogs, homepages etc.). However, you can only publish photos of details that don’t allow any conclusions about the look of the finished piece!
• Entries must consists of three layers – top, batting/wadding and backing.
• All quilts must have been quilted – by hand or by machine either on a domestic sewing machine (DSM) or on a longarm machine (stand-up or sit-down).
• Framed quilts are not allowed.
• Should your quilt require a more intricate hanging system rather than just a single hanging rod, please contact the organizers prior to entering your quilt!
• Using a computerized quilting system is allowed. This must be indicated on the entry form.
• Using a stitch regulator is explicitly NOT considered computerized quilting.
• Tied quilts and quilts made from preprinted panels, from kits or commercial patterns must not be entered.
• Every entrant can enter a maximum of two (2) quilts.
• A maximum of two (2) persons may have worked on any given entry – the piecer and the quilter.
• Each quilter may have quilted the entries of up to two (2) piecers.
• The piecer is the entrant.
• In order to enter your quilt, you need to email the filled in entry form (available for download from www.quiltfest.gritslife.de) together with two high-quality digital photographs – one full and one detail view showing the quilting – to: email@example.com.
The entry deadline is Friday 01 June 2018.
• The list of accepted quilts will be published on the GL&FQ website on Friday 29 June 2018.
• Every quilt must be equipped with a sleeve (10 cm/4”) at the top edge, which must be attached in a way to comfortably accommodate the hanging rod. As the quilts will be hung using one hanging string, the sleeve needs to have an opening of approx. 2 cm/1” in the center.
• Every quilts needs to have a fabric label attached in one of the bottom corners containing the following information:
– title of the quilt,
– name, address, email address and/or phone number of the entrant,
– name, company name and website address of the quilter (if applicable),
– month and year of completion.
• In order to allow for anonymous judging, this label needs to be covered with a piece of fabric.
• Every quilt needs to be accompanied by a description, that clearly shows why and how the challenge theme has been interpreted in the artwork. This text should not be longer than one DIN A4 page. It will be considered in the judging, will be read during the awards ceremony and will be presented next to your quilt.
• It’s the entrant’s responsibility that your quilt arrives at the event in time, clean and in the best possible condition.
• The accepted quilts must arrive at the organizers by Monday 27 August 2018.
• The accepted quilts are insured starting with their respective arrival at the organizers, during the show and up to the point that they are picked up by their owners or are handed over to the shipping company.
The decision of the judges is final.
• The awards ceremony will take place on Friday 31 August 2018 during the official GL&FQ 2018 opening party starting at 7:00 pm in the college’s foyer.
• Awards for the individual categories will only be awarded when there are at least three (3) entry eligible.
• Voting for the Viewers’ Choice award will start during the opening party on Friday evening and will close on Sunday afternoon at 3:30 pm. The prize will be awarded on Sunday afternoon at 4:30 pm.